To make sure any quotes we give you are as accurate as possible, it’s helpful if you let us know a few extra bits of information about the room or rooms you’re measuring. When measuring a room for carpet or other flooring such as vinyl, laminate or luxury vinyl, it’s great if you can email some photos of the room or bring them along to one of our stores so we know what we need to fit the flooring around - for example, a built-in wardrobe. All this extra information will help us provide you with a more accurate quote.
Here’s a few questions we might ask you – so be prepared!
- What type of room is it? Tell us if the room you are measuring for carpet or other flooring is a bedroom, lounge, kitchen, bathroom, home office, secret laboratory, or a mix of all of them! Knowing how you use the room will help us to determine what floor types are suitable for the space.
- How many windows and doors are there in the room? Do the windows reach the floor? Where are the windows and doors? Are they internal or external? Are the windows north- or south-facing? Some flooring types don’t like heat or light, and dark coloured carpets are likely to fade over time in a room with lots of sunlight.
- Is there any built-in furniture in the room? It’s useful to know if there are kitchen islands and fitted wardrobes in the room that we need to fit the flooring around.
- What’s under the floor you’ll be replacing? Is it concrete or wood, new or old, level or uneven, stable or wobbly? The condition of your subfloor can affect the performance of your new floor, and some flooring types (like carpet and vinyl) are better than others at hiding the imperfections underneath.
- Are you measuring for multiple rooms? If so, write the name of the room on the drawing and, if possible, draw the connecting hallway or adjoining room. This helps us understand the layout of your home and which room is which, so we can plan the correct flooring or pile direction. And if you can also let us know what flooring is in the next room (if it’s not being replaced), we can choose the correct type of connecting thresholds.
A HANDY GUIDE ON HOW TO MEASURE A ROOM
You’ve made it to the end of our guide, and hopefully you’re feeling confident and capable of measuring your room for carpet and other flooring! If you think you could do with some extra assistance, however, why not book a free home visit today so that one of our flooring experts can come out and give you a helping hand. Or, if you’re feeling confident and ready to purchase new flooring right away, come on down to your local Tapi store to see all the beautiful samples we have available! Alternatively, to see our experts in action, watch our ‘how to measure a room’ video.